From:
MR ART WEIL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 11:53:55 -0500
Dear All;-  (whoever you may be)
    I just wanted to throw one more example out of things we "Agree"
on that are wrong; but which we agree on because of the necessity of
understanding. My clock says 11:45am. I am 700 miles west of New your
where the clocks also say 11:45am. The reason the clocks agree is
because the railroads needed what we now call "Standard" time. It
makes no difference what the "Sun" time is. The time is what we agree
to call it. A few miles west of me, it's an hour earlier. And a few
weeks ago, I set my clocks ahead a full hour for daylight savings
time.
    All this has to do with shells is that we "Agree" on Latin names
around the world, whether they accurately describe the shell, or the
person who found it or the place it was found. I still like Conus
tribblei (sp) named for Jerry Walls cat. It doesn't look much like a
cat but we agree on what the shell is.
    On re-reading the above, I'm not sure I understand me. I gotta
stop drinking that stuff and go back to polishing my shoes with it.
        Art