From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 01:26:28 -0700
Patty,

I'd say it's more like gangranosa. The dorsum
looks much like my specimens, but the dark
posterior and anterior blotches aren't quite
the same. Maybe someone out there could
describe to us the differences between
boivinii and gangranosa. Both are really
variable in shape and pattern as far as I've
seen.

Peter Egerton

At 09:08 AM 6/26/01 +0200, you wrote:
>In the coloration and spotting it looks like
>Cypraea boivinii.
>with best shelling greetings
>Helmut
>
> --- Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]> schrieb: >
>Dear all,
>>
>> I have a cowrie that defies identification. I've
>> been all over Lorenz &
>> Hubert, but I do not know what it is. Ross Mayhew
>> has been so kind to put
>> it up on the Conch-l identification site
>> http://www.geocities.com/conchlimages/. There was
>> one more image he didn't
>> put up, showing the side of the shell. It shows
>> clearly that the margin is
>> slightly pitted, so I suppose it's in the Erosaria
>> group. It also has a
>> rather low dorsum, like errones, not like C. lynx
>> which it resembles
>> somewhat in the photograph. The shell is from Sagami
>> Bay in Japan
>>
>> Patty
>>
>> Dr. Patty Jansen
>>
>> Bookshop: http://www.booksofnature.com
>> Publishing and info site:
>> http://www.capricornica.com
>>
>> Books of Nature
>> P.O. Box 345
>> Lindfield NSW 2070
>> Australia
>>
>> phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415
>> 8098
>>
>> E-mail: [log in to unmask] or
>
>=====
>Helmut Nisters
>Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
>A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria
>phone: 0043 512 573214
>e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>web: www.netwing.at/nisters

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca, lifetime student
of zoology and computers.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.ca/personal/seashell/index.html
(includes "Seashells of British Columbia", links and my resume)
        -Links to add, remove, alter?  Just ask!
        -Suggestions always welcome :-)
        -This is an on-going project...