From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 08:41:20 -0400
Hi Barbara,

You picked some confusing winners...

turbinatus Lamarck, 1822 is canariensis fide Vokes, duplex per Houart,
1996, kuesterianus per Fair, trunculus per Radwin et al,
turbinatus Sowerby, 1834 is fulvescens  according to Clench, 1945
hoplites Fischer, 1786 is duplex  per Houart, 1996,  rosarium per Radwin et al.

I would disregard Radwin et al...

Best,

At 08:12 PM 7/4/01 +1200, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>I have a small murex from an old collection with a handwritten label
>giving 2 different names, neither of which I can confirm through any of my
>books:
>Murex turbinatus and Hexaplex hoplites (P. Fischer)  - it was taken by
>divers in Sth Africa over 20 years ago.
>If anyone could help me find a valid name and a photo to confirm the
>identification I would be most grateful.
>Thanks and best shelly regards,
>Barbara Jouvernaux

  John Wolff
2640 Breezewood Dr.