From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 09:15:16 -0500
Yes, incinerators are used in the US and continue to be built, but are they
controversial because of cost and  possible atmospheric pollution,
particularly PCB's. Also "NIMBY" (not in my backyard sentiments) play a role.
The local incinerator (which has had a boiler explosion with a fatality,
originating with a lightining strike which knocked out electrical controls)
was built with the premise of a certain volume to remain financially
profitable. In order to provide this volume, garbage from an existing
landfill is being trucked to the incinerator(!), and laws are being
proposed to permit importing of garbage from surrounding states.
(Lancaster is also "famous" for Three MIle Island, which is only about 20
Km away)
My garbage collection fees have increased tenfold over the past several
years because of the cost of recycling and incineration, so we are starting
to bite the bullet here.
.

John Wolff                      [log in to unmask]
2640 Breezewood Dr.             (717) 569-6955
Lancaster, PA 17601, U.S.A.