From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 11:39:37 -0500
STANLEY FRANCIS wrote:

CUT.....

 You will be interested to know however that by December 199=
> 8
> there will be' No Sewage Dumped' by any of the EEC member countries,- all=
>
> sewage will have to be incinerated. Here in Belfast , Northern Ireland, f=
> or
> example our rate payers have had to find =A3120million for the incinerato=
> which is in its final stages of construction. The cost throughout Europe
> must be astronomical.  Is incineration used a lot in the US ? =
Hello!

Hi Stanley,

I do not know about the rest of the US States but here in Florida,
garbage burning is not allowed, incinerators (with super scrubbers) are
only used for certain wastes.

Garbage is buried in landfills after the recyclable stuff is picked out
by the homeowners and sorted into bins put out curbside for pickup (yeah
they put us to work), some sorting is done at the prefill staging area
in some cases.

We now have clean air but also have to contend with squabbles about
where new fills go in, the smell, sea gull ecological changes, potential
time bombs if the leached byproducts leak into ground water etc etc.  I
heard (heresay) that the gulls, vultures and crows have increased their
populations due to the new available foodstuffs and have adapted
somewhat to this new way of cropping. No coastal sealife for them,
garbage picking is easier. Dont know if it is true though, it may be the
tree huggers at work.

Back in the late 60's early 70's each apartment building in New York and
vicinity had built in incinerators. You simply dumped your garbage down
a chute. Can you picture the smoggy sooty crud we were breathing. White
collar workers had pretty nasty case ring around the collar. Even
aluminum would corrode and rot away (windows, bannisters, railings etc).

Were trying hard, hope you guys do too!!
--
Later,

Emilio Jorge Power

Please visit;