From:
Rick Harbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:47:31 -0800
my experience  is that historically "oysters" is often used as a common term
for a number of species...
for example, reports in the early 1900's of  "rock oysters", near Victoria,
B.C. were the rock scallop,Crassadoma gigantea.

Atlantic oysters, Crassostrea virginica, in Boundary Bay, B.C. are found
several km (at least three km... probably more) up the Serpentine River.

Rick Harbo
Nanaimo, B.C.