From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 09:09:17 -0500
Hello Gang,

The current (2/02) issue of "Natural History", the 10 issues-a-year
magazine of the American Museum of Natural History has two fantastic articles.
I've touted this magazine several times before, but have never received any
feedback. Doesn't anyone on the list get this? In my opinion, it is one of
the best natural history magazines around, with some of the best pictures.
Even though Stephen Jay Gould no longer is a regular contributor, and it
probably is somewhat US-centered.
There is an article on conotoxins with extreme close-ups of animals (and
mention of Cognetix, whose message was just forwarded to the list by Peggy
Williams). The thing that blew my mind, is that some cones seem to adapt
their venom to particular prey -- instant evolution. (Just one use of
"periosteum" instead of "periostracum", but we won't tell anyone.)
The other article by Geerat Vermeij has some fascinating information about
evolution from sea to land and vice-versa, and the importance of incumbency
(not only in politics).
The magazine is addressed to the general public but is full of gems --  for
instance, feather mites are smarter than you might think.

John Wolff
2640 Breezewood Drive
Lancaster, PA 17601  -    USA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]