From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 08:57:19 -0400
Xen Nut,

The only interesting item I know about Xenophora is that many moons ago
some fish guy here at the museum brought back a bunch of X. longleyi from
the Florida Keys.  100% of these critters had a parchment worm tube in the
umbilicus.  I sent them to the Smithsonian where C. Fauchauld (sp?) looked
them over.  Preservation of the worm was poor (I had FINALLY gotten through
to this guy to not use formalin on shells), but he said that the specimens
represented a new species of polychaete.  I didn't get anymore specimens
for a long time, but the worm was eventually described and I remember a
note either in the Nautilus or the Proceedings of the Biological Society of
Washington about this interesting case of commensalism.

Kurt