From:
CHARLES F STURM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 23:03:51 -0400
William,
  I have a three-fold principle to building my collection.  Most of my
collection consists of Cenozoic molluscan fossils from the Atlantic
Coastal Plain.  I started collecting all types of fossils but found it
impossible to keep abreast of all the groups: vertebrates, invertebrates,
and plants.  I settled on collecting only fossils from the above location
and time span.  Most of this material is self-collected with some trades
and gifts included.  The first fossil that I ever collected was a fossil
pecten (Chesapecten nefrens from Maryland).  This began my interest in the
Family Pectinidae hence I also collect recent Pectinidae. About half of my
collection is from another collector's material which I purchased; most of
the rest were purchased from dealers.  Again, there are a few gifts in
there.  Lastly, I will acquire almost any other mollusk that comes my way
and that I feel will complement the Carnegie Museum's collection.  At some
point in the future (hopefully the distant future :-) ) my collection will
be donated to The Carnegie thus I am always looking for acquisitions that
will improved the research collection at the Museum.  For example, they
have strong holdings in the freshwater mussels.  When I had the
opportunity to acquire some from Australia I purchased them.  They are of
little interest to me but they will add several species to the Carnegie's
collection that are not currently in their holdings.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
                     Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine