From:
Timothy Blackwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:49:38 -0700
Hello,

My name is Tim Blackwood and I am a graduate student in biology at Bemidji State University,
located in northwestern Minnesota.  I've been a self-taught student of malacology and conchology
for over 15 years.  Though I'm not a harp expert, I did come across the following in formation:

From the University of Marburg (http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~worth/sammlung/10_3.htm), I found
reference to a specimen of Harpa doris Roeding, 1798.  It is suggested that Harpa doris is a
synonym for Harpa rosea Lamarck, 1816.

MOLLUSCA / CONCHIFERA
10.4c           Gastropoda / Streptoneura / Monotocardia / Neogastropoda
    .2b         Volutoidea / Harpidae

10.4c.2b.1.1    Harpa   doris   Roeding, 1798
                (= Harpa rosea Lamarck)
                (Cape Verde Islands to Angola, Ascension Island. Rare)
        a.......Rolas (mit Pagurus sp.)
                2. Etage        70 % Alk

This is supported by the following information from:

http://abbas0.chez.tiscali.fr/liste_harpidae.html

Harpa rosea synonyme doris (Lamarck 1816) (My note: I'm uncertain why year of descriptions for
Lamarck's rosea differ).

Additionally, from http://www.geocities.com/museozoologico_av/Museo_file/nuova_specie.htm:

Harpa doris Roeding, 1798

1798 Harpa doris Roeding, Museum Boltenianum Hamburg, pt. 2, p. 150.
Terra typica: Ghana.
Variante morfologica: Harpa robusta Roeding, 1798.
Principale sinonimo: Harpa rosea Lamarck, 1822.

As for Morum praeclarum Melvill, 1919, I have located the citation for the following article from
the journal The Nautilus (http://www.shellmuseum.org/Nautilus/nautilus_contents_89.html):

R. N. KILBURN. The rediscovery of Morum praeclarum Melvill (Cassidae): 49–50

The following citation is for the original species description
(http://www.molluscan.com/reference/m.shtml):

MELVILL,JAMES COSMO 1918
Description of Morum praeclarum,sp.nov.,with remarks on the recent species of the genus.
Proc.malac.Soc.Lon.,13:69-72.

My searches for Morum sobrinas turned up nothing.  Sorry.  However, I hope this has been of some
assistance to you. :)

Sincerely,
Tim

=====