From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:55:46 -0400
The thread which my original posting  (Taxonomy Question) generated
seems to have evolved into a discourse on the number of characters
(reference here to printed letters, not personalities of
contributors) required to constitute "different" - a question with a
seemingly obvious answer, and no bearing whatsoever on my original
question, which still lacks a direct reply.  To restate the original
question:  Is it allowable to form a new genus name simply by
altering the GENDER of an existing name?  Given that we already have
Cancellaria, can a new genus be called Cancellarius?  Changing
Cancellaria to Cancelloria or Concellaria, or Cancelaria forms a new
word (albeit a meaningless one); but changing Cancellaria to
Cancellarius, it seems to me, does not.  It is still the same word,
simply reclassified in terms of gender.  Any further opinion on this?
 And, if such transgendering of existing names is not a legitimate
method of forming new names, what about the existing names Nassarius
and Nassaria?

Paul M.