From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:21:57 -0600
Ostracods are small crustaceans with the common name of water flea.  They
are common freshwater plankton and a good indicator of water quality.  It is
a shell (although not a calcite or aragonite as in mollusks) and they are
free swimming with just feet and feelers sticking out of the shell and the
rest of their body hidden and protected within.

Tom E.