Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:34:06 +0200
I am interested in old Japanese literature on malacology. Does anybody has
more information (e.g. completer reference, in what library these are
available, any guess about the antiquarian price) or knows of additional
old Japanese malacological literature before 1900.
I know of the following:

Kichimonji no Jotei, 1688. Gohyaku kai-zu [Illustrations of 500 shells].
Five pages of pictures of this book are reproduced in grey in: Higo,
Callomon & Goto, 2001. Catalogue and bibliography of the marine
shell-bearing Mollusca of Japan. Type figures. After a handcopy of Hirase,
courtesy M.G. Harasewych.

Hasegawa Tadanori, 1810. Wakan Baifu [Japanese and Chinese book on shells].
9 volumes. I found this mentioned in Dance, Shell collecting, but have no
idea how it looks like.

Mokuhachi-Fu, 1843. This is mentioned by Kuroda in an article in the Venus
21(4): 365.

Besides: is there a site were you can translate Japanese/Chinese
characters?

Marc Lavaleye