From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:13:28 -0500
Bruce,

Since you posted your question to the list, I am assuming that anyone can
jump in with an opinion.

I found another apparent dual usage of "radula" and "radular" in a paper by
two eminent professional malacologists.   See Dr. James McLean and Dr. James
Nybakken,  "On the Growth Stages of Conus fergusoni Sowerby, 1873, the
Reinstatement of Conus xanthicus Dall, 1910, and a New Species of Conus from
the Galapagos Islands", Veliger (Vol.22; No. 2, 1979),  pp. 135-144.

 Radula Examples:
    "...markedly different radula morphology..."
    "...had a radula unlike that of either..."
    "...and radula slides."

Radular Examples:
    "Our radular descriptions ..."
    " has been shown to have a radular tooth morphology..."
    "...presence of two species on radular characters..."

It looks like radula is used, as a noun, to directly refer to the ribbon of
teeth structure used to capture food by molluscs. Radular is used more
indirectly, like an adjective, to modify other nouns.

Bill Fenzan
Norfolk, Virginia, USA