From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 04:50:12 +0000
I think the dramatic increase in shell auction venues in recent years,
greatly facilitated by the internet, is adding excitement and interest
to the Conchological Community in general.  Beginners seeking bargains
can often find them on eBay (although the advanced collector will often
be disappointed by many of the offerings there - with notable exeptions
such as the Sunderlands' fare!), and the Molluscs.net regularly offers a
wide range of interesting fare.  George Sanguiloulou (sorry for the
spelling!) and a few other experienced dealers offer very fine shells,
and there are a number of "new kids on the block" as well.  I think
that, while the bulk of shells offered by dealers will probably be via
lists or private arrangements for the foreseeable future, auctions are a
valid, useful, and as i said above, often exiting way of both purchasing
and selling molluscan exoskeletons.  So, count me in, as a wholehearted
supporter of the notion.

From the rather ICY north this week,
Ross M.