From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:22:05 +1200
>Dear all
>

>I am interested to know what the international situation is
>concerning shell collecting by scuba. In South Africa collecting
>live shells (that includes crabbed shells) are forbidden but
>collecting grit by scuba is allowed. Would appreciate some comments
>from the list members.
>

>For example:
>

>             Are there areas where shell collecting by scuba is allowed?
>
>             Are special permits required?
>
>             Are there restrictions on the type of species collected?

Hi Alwyn

The RSA government seems grossly overzealous (read: Nazi) when it
comes to natural history collecting. I was unaware of the scube
thing, but it fdoesn't surprise me. It is illegal for a private
person to collect or own a fossil! All fossils which ARE collected
must be deposited in an institutional collection. One good reason not
to live there for me... and if I ever visit, well! I'll certainly
collect... such laws prevent working scientific collections such as
mine from being created, and also guarantee the destruction, by
erosion, of the very fossils the laws (made by total ignoramuses) are
supposed to protect!

Anyway, I am unaware of any scuba restrictions anywhere else.
certainly nothing like that in NZ.
--
Regards
Andrew