From:
WWSS1238 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:14:40 EST
Dear Karlynn,
        Thanks for your comments concerning the Sol. Ids. cones.  No, they are
not
C. bullatus.  I have seen specimens like you describe.  I had another day to
work on the puzzle and think I have solved it myself.  I am pretty sure that
they are C. floccatus now.  Sometimes, when we get a new family "bible" [like
the new cone book], we forget about the older references!  My specimens are
exactly like those shown in the lower illustrations of C. floccatus in Walls
"Cone Shells"!  Especially, the center specimen.  What caused the confusion,
is that I have never received live-taken specimens with such vivid
coloring...add to the fact that these are slightly inmature specimens, with
thin, sharp lips vs the thick lips of the fully mature specimens...there just
was no comparison to the adult, dead-taken w/decent, but slightly faded
coloring, of the specimens I had received in the past.  What I had thought
were pretty nice specimens in the past, I would consider as pretty poor
specimens after seeing these beauties!
         I do appreciate your response.  Thanks again!  Ed