From:
"William M. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 15:22:44 -0400
We have been through three beach renourishment projects locally within
the past eight years.  Very few of the shells which end up on the beach
are "Gem."  Most are heavily damaged but surprisingly some of the more
fragile species (and even crustaceans) survive the seven mile ride in the
dredge
pipe relatively unscathed.  It has been my experience that live specimens
usually
expire within 24 hours after being pumped onto the beach.  This may be due
to the trauma they experience during the trip or by being literraly
smothered due
to burial under several feet of mucky sand.

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
Phone/FAX: (904) 724-5326
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm