From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 19:06:48 +0800
Dear Ross & All,

Point 1 and 2, 4 yes.

On point 3: There are many books and studies on the local culture. It
is enough to search the internet to find quite some interesting
literature on the Philippine government, society and culture in
general. Philippinos are not more lazy or hard working than most
other cultures, given the circumstances. But it is a country with a
large number of poor people, and such brings its difficulties.
Philippinos score very high in happiness and friendliness: they are a
very successful society in this way, which is possibly and probably
more important than the financial success. Japan is also, but this is
more my personal impression after many trips there, more successful
on the happiness than for example Europe. I did not see much in Japan
of a "hard-driving, money and achievement-oriented culture etc.... ".
Also, this forum is not the place to go in depth on these matters.

Back to shells:

Lumun lumun nets are the old tangle nets wrapped into a sausage like
bundle. These nets are 25 to 60 m long and about 3 m wide. The
sausage (called lumun lumun) is usually set along a slope and starts
often at a depth of 8-10 m and hangs down in the current to depths of
50 m. The nets are left there for periods of up to 3-5 months.
Veligers settle in the nets together with a multitude of other
organisms. When the net is pulled up it is a whole biotope already
and it may weight over one hundred kilograms. Then the shells are
sorted out and one gets "shell grit". The larger species, very few,
reach a couple of cm. The expensive species are pulled out by the
fishermen: rare Ovulids, rare Muricids, Cypraea beckii, rarely C.
rabaulensis. The rest is sold in bulk but local prices for this shell
grit are quite high, which is understandable regarding the work.

Tangle nets as new are different: these nets have small weights on
one side of the length and floaters on the other side. The rope is
very tin nylon. The net is set on the bottom and one rope links it to
a buoy on the surface. One rope is 160 m in length, but regarding the
inclination with the current the net with one rope is usually around
80 m deep. The current on the bottom pulls down the floaters and the
net is roaming around on the bottom. When pulled up in general there
are a few crabs, a few sea urchins, eventually a few shells. Average
1 good shell a day per net. Imagine the effort of pulling in 160 m of
rope with a heavy net on it every morning !

continued next email

Mabuhay from Mactan island, the Philippines.

Guido T. Poppe

Conchology, Inc.
Cebu Light Industrial Park,
Basak, Lapu-Lapu City,