From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 07:27:20 PDT
Dear Tom,

The Scanphander lignarius which was on the auction of Bret Raines
came from me, but as he sent me beautiful shells for the museum
in Innsbruck, I mailed him other shells for him, for a museum or
for the auction - to use after his decision.
There are some troubles again to which family Scaphander
lignarius belongs.
Family Scaphandridae (see Guido Poppe and Yoshihiro Goto:
                                          European seahells - Verlag Christa Hemmen)

or

Fam. Cylichnidae (see checklist delle specie della fauna italiana:
                                part of Gastropoda, Opisthobranchia,
                                Divasibranchia, Gymnomorpha) by Daniele
                                Bedulli et al. - Eidzione Calderini, Bologna, 1995

To the same family are belonging: genus Cylichna and genus Roxania.

The European distribution of Scaphander lignarius (Linnaeus, 1758)
is from Iceland south to the Canaries and into the Mediterranean
and Adriatic. They live from the sublittoral zone down to 700 m
and on mud or sandy bottom.

The three are the gastric plates which you can find within the soft-parts
but I don't know how they are arranged. A slender, small and pale
Scaphander is named Scaphander hidalgoi, but is a synonym.
Scaphander are carnivour and they are important food for
haddock (shellfish).

I have got several specimens of my collection by my Italian friend
Loris Perini, Gruppo Naturalisti Linneo, Chioggia near Venice.
His address is:
Loris Perini

Borgo San Giovanni, 590
I - 30015 Chioggia (Venezia) / Italia

As the group doesn't have computer or e-mail address, you should
contact them for eventual changing material. They have very
nice material from the Mediterranean and can get Scaphander
also in great numbers by fishermen. They collect all kinds of shells,
from Mediterranean to exotic and fossils.

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible

with best greetings
Helmut Nisters
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
homepage: www.netwing.at/nisters/