From:
Stephen McMurray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:14:26 -0500
Andy,

Have him contact Paul Johnson with the Alabama Aquatic Biodiversity Center, in Marion, AL * [log in to unmask]

Steve

Stephen E. McMurray
Resource Scientist/Malacologist
Missouri Department of Conservation
1110 S. College Ave.
Columbia, MO 65201
573.882.9909

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/25/06 9:04 AM >>>

Hello all -- Being the resident malacologist, I recently got a
question from a student here regarding techniques for culturing
freshwater snails.  It sounds like he's looked at some literature,
but hasn't yet found much to help him.  I, of course, have virtually
no experience raising freshwater snails, so I told him that I would
ask around.  I have included the text of this student's e-mails
below.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or have any good snail
culturing references that I could pass on to him?  If it helps, you
can ignore the fact that he's trying to figure out ways to control
snail populations using native fish, with the ultimate goal of
alleviating trematode problems in aquaculture...I suppose it's better
than poisoning them?

Thank you for any thoughts you might have!

Cheers,
Andy

Begin forwarded messages:

One:

> I am an undergrad assistant in Zoology trying to create a
> biological control of snail populations using native fish species.
> I am currently collecting snails for my research and trying to
> culture them in the Vivarium with little success, I was wondering
> if you could give me some suggestions of  the parameters for
> culturing snails or look over my system and give me some pointers.
> Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Two:

> I am trying to culture rams horn and Physa sp. snails. I have place
> them in four separate aquariums with air stones and lights, I have
> kept the alkalinity around 100 and the temp is 25 C with little or
> no ammonia present. I've been feeding them Lettuce and on occasion
> some pellet fish food. I am going to try to get some algae from my
> aquaculture ponds and see if that helps. I have tried to find
> literature on snail culture but all I can find is on raising Apple
> snails. The info I find on Rams horn or Physa just talks about
> conservation or the problems them in aquatic environments. If you
> could ask your friends and see what they think, any help would be
> greatly appreciated.  On a side note I am working on reducing
> trematode populations in aquaculture that's why I am trying to
> working with native species to help with this problem.

Frank E. (Andy) Anderson
Department of Zoology
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous.

- Captain Beefheart