From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:44:55 -0400
Dick,

Actually, I think it's more likely that Donax suffered from "renourishment," as you surmise. But contaminated water and "development" probably account for many other decimations of marine life. Not much empirical study to back my strong impression either.

I remember as a kid clawing Mya arenaria out of the sand with my bare hands in Sag Harbor, Long Island, and a most memorable dinner of "steamers" dipped in melted butter and fresh corn. What happened to the Soft-shell Clam? Am I mistaken or is it much reduced from one of the most abundant, harvestable mollusk populations of the northeast US?

I'm interested in whether artificial off-shore reefs have any major drawbacks and whether they can slow the inevitable landward transfer of beaches (a movement referred to in the title "The Beaches are Moving"). Although hypothetical off-shore reefs might conceivably provide some significant habitat for some species, I believe the global environment is probably facing some mass extinctions from a variety of threats in the very near geological future. No artificial, local palliatives will address the scale and complexity of the problems.

I'd love to be wrong.

David