From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 00:49:36 -0400
Ellen,

That's funny! Say! You ain't anti-vegetable, are you? Some of my best friends are vegetabularians!

I was going to say "renourishment" is akin to the statement by a military officer in the 1960s, "We had to destroy the village in order to save it." Or the sentiment, "We have to destroy the Constitution in order to save it."

"Development", as in "coastal development" is perhaps a slightly more equivocal term. You can't possibly be against the teleo- to succeed the proto-conchs, that's unthinkable.

But let's be honest now, tumors are "growth" too. You're not anti-growth, are you? If you are, you must be a reactionary Luddite. Anyway, this seems to be the manner in which the terms are devised to set the tone of discussion.

You're either with us, or you're with the Lamarckians. We are the deciders.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC