From:
"Barney, Winston" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 13:31:29 -0500
Hi Tim,

Looking over the list of references I sent you, it seems possible to begin
by eliminating many which would be of no or little  use such as:
   Kronenberg and Berkhout (written in Dutch)
   references to stamps
   Hinton (very small photos and no text - except names)
   Eisenberg (photos and very short text)
   MEL_2 (Melvin's very outdated - shells of the world with values)
   COX -line drawings
   OBER - remarks on color patterns

Add to those the references you now have:
   Abbott's - genus Strombus
   A&D - Compendium
   Dance - Collector's Encyclopedia
   Oliver's - Guide to Shells of the World
   Johnsonia (has no references to Dolomena)

Then, concentrating on those that would help the most, I propose the
following order. I will need to take one reference at a time and scan all
the material needed, so that I won't have to keep going back to the
bookshelf or my periodical files (which are outside in my shell room). I may
decide to go ahead and scan all the Strombus references from each book, so
that I can be filling up my own research files at the same time. I should
tell you that my knees are fast going downhill, and every effort that takes
me out of my chair is felt, bigtime. I don't want sympathy; I just thought
that you should know why I'm slowing down.
So here's the order I will follow:
Wilson  (this and the next two references are informative and scholarly)
Cernohorsky
Springsteen & Leobrera
Conchological Iconography - Dolomena species only (great photos, text
lacking at times)
Walls - Dolomena species only
Vita Marina
Vita Malacologica
Basteria
Gloria Maris
La Conchiglia
Triton
Wye

After thatI will work on articles or citations from other references (mostly
periodicals) in the order which I deem most important. At any time, please
feel free to request a change of schedule, if you feel you need a different
reference tha I have scheduled. I know it sounds crazy, but I work best on a
schedule.

My intent is to scan the articles with OCR and convert each article to Word
, New York Times, 12 point font. I will also scan the photos (color or BW)
and include a pointer to the JPEG file.

If memory serves me, I don't have any references from Veliger, Nautilus or
Festivus, but I've recently been looking at the Nautilus library holdings in
Sanibel. A scan of their monthly titles might reveal some worthwhile
articles to investigate.

As a member of COA, I get the American Conchologist regularly, so I'll be
looking for your article. (No need to send it to me). Good luck to you on
these endeavors. The AC article sounds great and the study of Dolomena and a
possible new genus for kleckhamae will be fruitful even if a new genus is
found to be unwarranted A paper explaining your findings could be titled: "A
Revision of the genus Dolomena" or : "Analysis of the genus Dolomena", or
whatever your research uncovers. Hang in there!

Hope you have a smile on your face and a song in your heart.

Oh yes, check out Femorale's list 4006: great photos of S. costatus
spectabilis and many great Cyps. ( accicularis, etc)

Winston