From:
Richard Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 01:25:21 -0400
To: Cristian Ruiz Altaba

I regret I may have been just one of those 'sellers of B class beads'
that you've seen in Majorca. For 5 years or so, I made beads (95% from
fast-growing reeds, bamboo, coconut shell or palm nuts) in my village in
Siargao, and sold them in Majorca in the summer: It made me a living (of
sorts) and also brought in some income for the village ladies who strung
the beads.

I found it quite impossible to sell whole shells, unless they were very,
very cheap (I did try, the very first year).

I have noticed that the souvenir shop in Pt. Pollença, that used to stock
a lot of the usual spectacular Philippine shells, went out of business.

Shark's teeth are a different matter. I think that like many people,
virtually all my knowledge, then, about sharks came from seeing 'Jaws'.
I didn't think any more of selling shark tooth pendants than I would about
wearing leather shoes.

People liked them, and they always sold out - one year I even sold fake
ones, that I advertised as 'handmade shark teeth' for a higher price than
the natural ones.

But I think I've done 'mea culpa' about sharks' teeth on this list.
regards

Richard Parker
Siargao Island, The Philippines.

My website at www.coconutstudio.com is about the island and its people,
coastal early humans, fishing, coconuts, bananas and whatever took my
fancy at the time.