From:
Avril Bourquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:32:56 -0600
I live in the East Columbia Valley of British Columbia. When I moved to
Athelmere in 1992 my landlady was a Ktunaxa/Kinbasket native.  This was a
part of the original Shushwap Indian Band.  Kate was in her late 70s at that
time.

When I unpacked some of my shells, Kate came over for a visit.  She went
right to the money cowries and told me that her great grandparents found
those along the Toby Creek and Lake Windermere.  I told her that that was
impossible!

Now,
At the time of David Thompson (founder of our valley 200 years ago) a paddle
wheel boat was established from Golden to Windermere.  Also about 100 kms
south of this was Fort Steele an RCMP establishment.

"Fort Steele, first known as Galbraith's Ferry during the 1864 Kootenay Gold
Rush, was renamed in 1888 in honour of Superintendent Samuel Steele of the
North West Mounted Police, who peacefully settled tensions between white
settlers and the Ktunaxa people."
http://britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=3495

Is there any chance that money cowries made it this far west to be traded
with the natives and some got thrown or traded and lost along the banks of
Toby Creek?  Unfortunately Kate passed away (too late for me to apologize)
and her sister who is in her 90s is unable to give me any information on
this.

In a box of Kate's belongings was indeed a small bag of money cowries along
with porcupine quills, sinew, leather pieces etc.  I was given the shells
and unfortunately just added them to my bag of money cowries not recognizing
that they could have some significance.

That's my story for the day.  Something to think about!

Avril Bourquin