From:
Benjamin Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 21:03:45 -0400
All,

This is not directly about shells, but it is about the health of our oceans, which, of course, has a great deal to do with mollusks.

I thought you might all be interested in this. Oceans are known to be
able to absorb rather large quantities of 'excess' CO2, a major
greenhouse gas. This study indicates that the oceans around Antarctica
are nearly saturated. They were expected to absorb a lot more,
moderating the excess CO2 that we are contributing to the atmosphere.
That may be wrong. If the science is good, and I am making no judgment
yet, then this could dramatically increase the amount of CO2 in the
atmosphere and hence speed global climate change. See the link below.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN1623079520070517

Note also that, the more CO2 that the ocean absorbs, the greater the
acidity of the water and also that cooler water is actually able to
absorb more CO2 than warm water.

Ben