From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:53:04 -0500
> I did mention feeling bad in keeping the few I have, in my last email on
> this, and, Eddy, you do have a point.  In which institution?

Several considerations go into selecting an appropriate institution to
house type material.  Is it stable and likely to continue to care for
the material permanently?  Is it readily accessible to researchers?
Are they equipped to deal with type material?  Unfortunately, some
seemingly secure institutions have later disappeared.  Nevertheless,
the preservation of institutional collections has historically been
far better than the preservation of private collections.

Institutions that house type material are encouraged to publish
catalogues so that the information is readily available.

Note that the designation of "type" categories is more tightly defined
now than in the past, so material from an old collection labeled as
some sort of type deserves careful investigation-it may or may not be
of importance.

My type material is in the Smithsonian.

--
Dr. David Campbell