Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 15:08:34 -0400
John Abba wrote:  "Marlo -- Thanks for the link for your site. I have added
it onto " My Favourites " and will be into it more, in the coming
days..However I did not notice the definition on  "Topotypes and Hypotypes "
as suggested in Bill's initial discussion, and also Fabio's  " Sintypes. "

Reply:

I believe Fabio meant "Syntype."

Topotype - A specimen taken from the type locality.

Hypotype -  A described or figured specimen used in a publication to extend
or correct the knowledge of a previously defined species.  A hypotype would
be any images/descriptions published after the holotype, syntypes,
lectotype, or neotype have been established, but does not replace them.
Rather, hypotyes are later publications that serve to illustrate and provide
further information about a species.

For an example of a hypotype presentation go to this example:   Cerithium
atratum
<http://z14.invisionfree.com/Conchologist_Forum/index.php?showtopic=563&view
=findpost&p=3829489>

John, I've added these definitions to the webpage for future reference.

Marlo
Merritt Island, FL