From:
"Kim C. Hutsell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:51:59 -0700
Dear Scott,

From what I recollect, it was simply a cluster of tin cans with the tops
cut out...whatever they could find at the local dump.  Since Bill caught
Trophons, I suspect he used clams for bait and probably didn't
extract the meat, rather just craushed the shell a bit to attract
whatever came along.

Usual down-time for traps and tangle nets is over night...set in the
evening, picked up in te morning...since most gastropods are nocturnal
feeders.  One afternoon, Linda (my wife) and I were diving off El
Requeson at about forty feet when I decided to try an experiment.  The
bottom was littered with live Agropecten ventricosa, so I smashed one
with my knife and settled down on the bottom to watch.  Within five
minutes, a half dozen different species were making a bee-line for the
scallop.  It stands to reason that the same bait could be used at any
depth.

Best regards,

Kim Hutsell