From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:49:52 -0400
Hi Ümit,

From "Techniques for collecting, handling, preparing, storing and examining small molluscan specimens," (Geiger, et al, 2007):

"A mollusc here is considered small if the largest dimension of the animal or last whorl of the shell (if a gastropod - even if tall spired) is less than 5mm in size. The smallest molluscs reach around 0.6mm in adult size, but many larval or juvenile stages are smaller. While we use the term 'micromolluscs' for species that are less than 5mm in maximum dimension as adults, this is clearly arbitrary."

David Kirsh
Durham, NC

“My mother had to explain that one couldn't compose a Liszt rhapsody because it was a piece of music that Liszt himself had composed.” -- Sergei Prokofiev