From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:55:34 +1300
>Off on a scuba diving trip with my wife to Fiji (most likely Beqa
>Lagoon & Mamanuca island group) in Feb 2008.
>Anyone had any experience collecting here?
>Any advice?
>mainly interested in scuba, snorkelling but also beach combing!
>
>We only take a few shells (not large species) in the families of
>interest (ie the Cypraea, Volute, Haliotis, Pecten & Stromb). It's
>nice to observe some insitu and take a few nice ones for the
>collection.

I haven't collected at those localities (mainly fossil localities, in
fact) but I have tried the coastal reef of the south shore if Viti
Levu... which has been stripped by the local Fijians, parties of whom
are, at all times from any given spot, visible at low tide, scouring
the reef flats. Not a good place to look.

Popular tourist diving spots may or may not be good...
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin