From:
Frank Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:50:24 -0600
Dear all,

I received an e-mail recently (see below) from an editor at a
publishing company in the UK that is looking for a malacologist (or
malacologists) to write or advise on a pair of books on shells, one
of which would be a large volume entitled "The Book of Shells:
Seashells from around the world".  Such a request is well out of my
area of expertise, so I asked the editor if she would like me to
forward the query to CONCH-L.  She thought this would be a good idea,
so here it is.

I do not know anything about this publishing company, and thus cannot
vouch for them in any way.  I just thought this might be a good
opportunity for someone with the expertise and inclination to help
with such a book (or pair of books).   If you are interested, please
contact Kate Shanahan, commissioning editor of the Ivy Press, using
the contact information at the end of the message below.

Cheers,
Andy

---

Forwarded messages:

Thanks for the suggestion of using CONCH-L to post my query, I think
yes please, I'd like to reach as many expert concologists as
possible. We're actually initiating two books on Shells, the one I
outlined to you, and a smaller, more straightforward directory of 130
of the world's most popular shells. I'm looking for expert authors
with some kind of related qualification or professional association
to work on both book proposals.

Dear Dr Anderson,

I am writing to you as commissioning editor for the Ivy Press, the UK-
based independent book packager who routinely produces complete,
illustrated titles for publishers including Dorling Kindersley, Simon
& Schuster, Abrams, Chronicle, and Penguin. The Ivy Press produces a
wide variety of art and design, popular culture, and general
reference books, and we have a reputation for high production and
editorial values and outstanding design standards. Do view our range
of published titles at www.ivy-group.co.uk.

I am researching potential authors for a hardback book proposal aimed
at a general audience with the working title "The Book of Shells:
Seashells from around the world." This will be an encyclopedic volume
detailing approximately 1,000 seashells from around the world, each
photographed to capture it's delicate detail, and reproduced as life-
size, giving a strong visual theme to the book.  Each shell featured
will be accompanied by text detailing the essential information for
identification, so the book will function equally well as an
identifier for shells found at home or abroad, or as a beautiful
collection for those armchair travelers who are inspired by natural
beauty.

Would you be interested, or able to recommend a suitable expert that
might be interested, in writing or advising on this title? While it
is not essential that they be published previously, we are keen that
the person chosen be associated with a well-regarded academic or
cultural institution, and bring detailed knowledge to our project. We
also hope that our author may have access to a large shell collection
available for photographing.

If you are interested and would like further details, I would be
grateful if you would let me know as soon as possible. Many thanks in
advance for your time and attention to this request.

With kind regards,

Kate Shanahan

---

Kate Shanahan
Commissioning Editor

The Ivy Group
The Old Candlemakers, West Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2NZ, UK
t +44 (0)1273 487440
f +44 (0)1273 487441
www.ivy-group.co.uk
The Ivy Group comprises
The Ivy Press Limited | The iBall Press Limited | The Ilex Press
Limited | The Bridgewater Book Company Limited

The sender of this email acts as agent of one of the companies stated
above. If it is important to know which company
the sender represents, and therefore on whose behalf the
representations are made, please ask for clarification.

Frank E. (Andy) Anderson
Department of Zoology
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL  USA 62901