From:
"Maassen, W.J.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:27:48 +0100

________________________________

Van: Conchologists List namens Andrew Grebneff
Verzonden: do 20-12-2007 11:38
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: [CONCH-L] Guildfordia superba

Re the original description of Guildfordia superba GT Poppe, Tagaro &
Dekker in "Visaya" Jaunuary 2005.

I had several offers to send scans, and received one just fine;
thanks to those who offered.

The description agrees with what I can see in my specimen and in
several others I have seen illustrated, though mine seems to have
unusually regular spines; none of these specimens intergrade with G.
yoka or other species, a point made by the authors. I have to
conclude that this is a good species.

If you see offered mauve shells with long closed spines and beaded
surfaces, these are NOT G. superba, but G. yoka. G. superba has
shorter and open spines at most a few rows of fine subsutural beads
on the upper whorls and is a distinctive strongly-nacreous
golden-bronze color. Dealers please take note!

I cannot help wondering how trustworthy the locality of the types is
(Balut Island, just off the south tip of Mindanao), knowing that
Filipino fishermen lie about localities and the shell markets don't
even attempt to keep data with the correct specimens. My specimen
data is 300 fathoms (500m), Balut; I very much doubt there is water
more than 200m deep anywhere near the island. I was lucky to get one,
having missed 2 or 3 in auctions; it cost me $10US.

Guido, has the holotype been lodged in a recognized type repository?
If not the name will be invalid.

(this is not necessary, only a recommendation. I know a lot of entomologists who keep the holotypes in their collection!)

Have you seen an operculum? I would imagine it is indistinguishable
from those of other species. Those of three of the  NZ fossil species
are identical.

>Guildfordia tagaroae Alf & Kreipl, 2006 has been described in Visaya
>Vol I nr. 6. I think the latter is what you mean with G. aculeata
>without spines.
>These shells are very different but rare, up till today only about 3
dozen have been dredged.

I will have to see Alf & Kreipl's paper to be sure...
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin