From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:51:13 +1200
> [ Any and all mountains that have "Mt." are volcanoes, most of which
> are
> dormant.

The huge majority of "Mts" are in fact tectonic mountains, not volcanic.
Fortunately.

> The more or less resent discovery of black smokers...
> pump caustic chemicals and deposit metals after the brew cools
> down elsewhere.
> H2SO4 and H2S are only a few nasties that come forth.
> It has been doing this since the ring of fire was created and before
> ...  Without doubt they are all around the Philippines (lots of
> shells) and South East
> Asia and the Japanese region.  Japan is building a new island in this
> process as our
> hot spot under Hawaii (big island) is being left behind as the island
> chain moves North
> west.

Actually such vents have been active worldwide from the time plate
tectonics began early in earth history; from a time before the oceans came
into existence. They occur all along constructive plate margins (most,
being suboceanic, are commonly known as midoceam rifts), where new crust
is constantly being formed, and one of the better-known active spots is
the Axial Volcano not far off the Oregon coast, where the constructive
plate margin has been overridden by the continental crustal plate.

And guess what... these vents are often surrounded by hordes of shelled
molluscs and other creatures, species which cannot live far from the vents
(old inactive vents are surrounded by dead colonies).

I too am extremelt sceptical of "global warming" and acidification as
manmade problems, and indeed, there is no way to know if these are hiccups
or ongoing trends.