From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:55:14 -0400
Sid Sneidar wrote:
> The fishing families of Tahiti tied a floating coconut to their bodies
> and trailed it behind them while in the water fishing.
> Always had sharks around but no attacks. This straight from the horses
> mouth so to speak. I am married to one such lady.
>
> Of course, as I learned in scuba diving classes, "There is only one
> thing predictable about sharks and that is they are unpredictable".

Sharks as a group, maybe. Individual species are very predictable. Here
in Florida, for example: hammerheads will cruise up close and check you
out, with one eye then the other, then cruise out of sight; bulls will
keep a wide distance and satisfy their curiosity with a half-circle at
the limit of visibility; nurses just lay there until you get too close,
then bolt like scalded rats; reef sharks stay out of sight, and swim
quickly away if they accidentally get too close. Most of the other
species are rarely seen because they give divers a very wide berth.

BTW, there was a very interesting article in National Geo a few month
back that indicated that reduction in the number of sharks leads to a
reduction in number of the predators we consider food.

Sharks are magnificent creatures, and always a thrill to see in their
wild state. Contrary to their bad press, they are rather timid around
humans.

Don't wade in waters where there are bait fish schooling, don't float
around on the surface pretending to be a seal, don't refuse to give up
that grouper you just speared, don't go where sharks are being - or have
been - fed by humans, and you won't get bit by a shark. Guaranteed!