From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:07:47 -0700
On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM, David Shelton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I inherited my mother's shell collection and don't know what to do with it.
> We had a display cabinet in our house when I was growing up that had the
> best of her collection.  When she passed I boxed up the shells to keep them
> safe.  A couple years ago, while packing to move, I discovered boxes and
> boxes of shells, coral, fossils, etc.  There is literally a pick-up truck
> full so this is no "shoebox" collection.  I don't know what to do with all
> of these.  I understand some may be museum quality.
>
> While my father was stationed in Subic Bay, Philippines in 1956-1958 my
> mother collected these shells.  She snorkeled and found many herself.  She
> also knew a Filipino man in Manila who she said was an expert in shells and
> I believe she purchased many from him.  Many of the purchased shells have
> slips of paper inside to identify them.
>
> I live in Northwest Georgia and would be very interest in communicating with
> anyone who can help me.
>
> Barbara Havlin

I assume that you want to find them a good home?

Unfortunately it is most unlikely that any institution would want
them, unless they are local. There is a significant cost to processing
every specimen, and there is also the housing cost.

Shell dealers sometimes buy parts of or even whole collections. You
could try offering them to dealers (some dealers' websites have links
to other dealers eg www.shellcabinet.com).

--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand