From:
Dennis sargent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:54:34 -0500
Fabio,

The mechanism of color production in the shells of mollusks has not been
fully determined; however, it is interesting to note that several species of
Oliva will reflect the color of their environment,
Examples are Oliva jaspidea and Oliva panniculata. These may be black or
dark from the areas of black sand and white from areas with white sand.
Ed Petuch and I feel that there is something in the environment that affects
the production of color in the shells. Tursch and Greifeneder established
the theory they called "local color palette" based upon areas where several
species of Oliva were found together and exhibited similar color and
patterns. We have been looking for answers and only finding more questions.
But that is what science is all about!

Best wishes,

Dennis Sargent