From:
John Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:31:12 -0500
FossilFest 2009 is Here
Florida - Land of the Lost!It’s time again for the biggest show on Earth,
well, the biggest paleo show in the Southeast anyway. We’ve patiently waited
for a year and FossilFest 2009 is finally here! TBFC will bring Florida’s
land of the lost back for the public to see on March 7th and 8th at the
Florida State Fairgrounds. By the time you receive this FossilFest Special
Edition of the Chronicles, our big event will only be days away. And very
little time remaining to prepare.

Before I go on, I want to remind everyone that there will not be a March
meeting at USF. This year FossilFest falls on the first Saturday of the
month which is the day we normally meet. Pretty good trade though, I think.
Three days of FossilFest instead of one evening at a meeting?

Over the course of the last few months I’ve included a long list of things
we need to make FossilFest a success. If you’re still interested in
participating as a volunteer, contact Seina Searle ([log in to unmask]) and
she can probably still work you in. We can always use more help. If you have
items you would like donate to the silent auction or kid’s mine, you can
drop those off on Friday or Saturday mornings (March 6th and 7th). If you’d
like to set up a fossil/artifact display case, contact George Overhuls ASAP
He may still be able to get you into a display case.

Keep an eye on the television in the week leading up to FossilFest. We’ve
been lucky enough to get TV coverage in the past, and it looks like TBFC
will be on Fox’s Good Day Tampa Bay on March 4th (7AM - 9AM), and also on,
10 News This Morning on March 6th (5:30AM - 6AM). The local news shows have
also been including FossilFest in their weekend coverage.

If you know anyone who might find FossilFest interesting, please forward
them this email.

With that, all I can say is, see you at the show!

February Meeting
I’d like to thank Carol and Bernie Peterson for their visit with TBFC and
presentation with TBFC on Florida’s fossil shells. They had a long ride to
meet with us coming all the way from Cocoa Beach (where "I Dream of Jeannie"
lived).

The Peterson’s book sold well and now lots of folks know how to identify
fossil shells for themselves. More importantly, the Petersons gave away the
locations to many of their secret shell hunting spots, so if you were at the
meeting, you know where to go! Thanks again Carol and Bernie.

Fossil Hunter Remembered
I’d like to thank the brother and family of TBFC member Richard Piotrowski.
Richard passed away in 2007 at the age of 69, leaving behind a nice fossil
collection. His family was kind enough to contact TBFC and donate the
fossils.

We’ll go through the collection over the next few months and start sorting
it for inclusion in TBFC auctions. The proceeds will go a long way in
supporting the many scholarships we award each year. Rest in peace Richard.

Special FossilFest Edition
Welcome New Members!If you joined TBFC at FossilFest, this is your first
edition of the Fossil Chronicles. Welcome to TBFC! We are glad to have you
with us and our members look forward to meeting you and teaching you about
Florida’s exciting "paleo" past. Be sure to join us at upcoming meetings,
field trips, and gatherings. Your membership allows you access to every
event TBFC hosts.

Peace River Adventure 2009
If you’re new to fossil hunting, you won’t want to miss our upcoming Peace
River Adventure on April 25th and 26th. The trip includes two days of fossil
hunting on the beautiful Peace River near Zolfo Springs with lots of folks
on hand to show you how to get started and identify your finds. The weekend
also includes a family style barbecue and one of our famous fossil auctions.
You can find a sign-up form in this edition of the Chronicles.

Get Well Marvin!
In closing, I’d like to wish a speedy recovery to our own Marvin Preston who
has been under the weather for the past few weeks. We need you at FossilFest
Marvin, so shake off what ails you we’ll see you there!

Good Hunting!
Michael Searle

TAMPA, FLORIDA, March 1, 2009 – In Florida 12,000 B.C., prehistoric people
hunted mammoths, built pyramids along our coast, and lived in fear of the
saber cat, lion, and wolf.  On March 7th and 8th, 2009 the Florida State
Fairgrounds Special Events Center will go back in time to a different place,
a different Florida, a land long lost.  The Tampa Bay Fossil Club presents
the 22nd annual, FossilFest 2009, Florida - Land of the Lost!

FossilFest is Florida’s largest prehistoric show where the public can view
amazing fossils found right here in Florida, as well as, artifacts left
behind by Florida’s first people.  FossilFest features educational
activities, for both children and adults that are designed to teach the
public about Florida’s extensive and exciting prehistoric past.  A time when
saber-toothed cats, giant wolves, sharks as big as school buses, and
prehistoric Indians ruled Florida’s peninsula.  Also on display will be
gems, minerals, fossil shells, and antiques from Florida's pioneer days.
Vendors will be on hand to sell and trade fossils found both here in
Florida, and from all over the world.

“Our goal is to teach Floridians about the prehistoric creatures and people
that were here long before us,” says club president Michael Searle.  “You
don’t have travel to far-away exotic places to find these fossils,” says
Searle, “These mammoths, wolves, camels and rhinos lived right here where we
live today.  Their fossilized remains are everywhere in Florida.”

On both Saturday and Sunday there will be presentations on Florida’s amazing
fossil record and prehistoric people.  These seminars, free to those in
attendance, will teach folks how to legally hunt for fossils in Florida and
how to identify and preserve what they find.

A highlight of FossilFest is the children's Fossil Mine at Paleo Park.  For
seventy-five cents, kids can dig through a sand pit to recover actual
prehistoric fossils donated by members of the Tampa Bay Fossil Club.  Then,
at the "Learning Table," they sit with a club member who identifies and
explains their new treasures.  The children keep every fossil they find!

“It’s a wonderful “hands-on” learning experience,” says Tampa Bay Fossil
Club Officer and Hillsborough County school teacher, Patrick McGirk.  “You
just can’t believe how excited these kids get over finding fossils.  They
don’t even realize they’re learning!”

There will be free door prizes hourly, silent auctions, and raffles
throughout the weekend.

“So many people these days are hooked on the Discovery Channel, and now
these treasure hunting shows.  Well, that’s what we’re all about,” says Dr.
Bob Sinibaldi, a former President of the Tampa Bay Fossil Club and Pinellas
County special education expert.  “FossilFest will appeal to anyone who
frequents the Discovery Channel, loves science and nature, or has an
interest in history and outdoor adventure.

The Tampa Bay Fossil Club is a family oriented organization focusing on
paleontology, archaeology, and everything prehistoric.  Meetings are held
monthly at the University of South Florida’s Tampa campus and features
prominent speakers from many areas of science.  The Tampa Bay Fossil Club
awards annual scholarships to students studying in the field of paleontology
and geology.  The 22 year-old club hosts numerous field trips, campouts,
gatherings, and adventures throughout its September through May seasons.

The Ice Age returns to Florida!

Where:           Florida State Fairgrounds, Special Events Center
When:             March 7 & 8, 2009
Time:              Saturday - 9AM until 6PM, Sunday - 10AM until 4PM
Admission:     $5.00 for adults, children 12 and under admitted free.
Contact:         Michael Searle, (813) 909-9358, [log in to unmask]
Web Site:        www.tampabayfossilclub.com

John
John & Cheryl Jacobs
Seffner, FL