From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 12:46:08 -0600
> I was hoping someone could help clear up a problem I have with two similar
> species of Pecten; Decatopecten plicus (Linnaeus, 1758) and Decatopecten
> striatus (Schumacher, 1817).  I do not have a solid pecten reference but
> Eisenberg (A Collector's Guide to Seashells of the World) says striatus has
> only 5 or 6 ribs and plicus about 9.  Well I have specimens with 5,6,7,8,and
> 9 ribs!  All look very much alike except the ones with the most ribs do seem
> a bit flatter and the few ribbed guys seem to have a blunter lip.  Is there
> any clear cut guide to these two species?

On another subject, I just upgraded to Netscape 4. something and have
discovered it is no longer simple to respond privately to a message sent via
the list.  So now I join those who keep saying how tough this is (yeah, I know
Mark, quit fooling around with Netscape and use Microsoft).  I will figure out
a way around this program.

See ya,

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA