From:
Betty and Bob Lipe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:26:41 -0800
Gregory Herbert wrote:

> Hello,
> I've recently observed Eupleura sulcidentata clinging to the tips of sea
> grass blades in quiet NW Florida bays.  This is interesting behavior for a
> carnivore, but it may be to avoid predation from the abundant crabs in the
> area.  Has anyone out there observed this behavior while snorkeling or
> scuba diving?  Might there be some sort of food source (i.e. tiny
> animals/worms) on these blades of grass that E. sulcidentata is seeking?
> This species is very small for the genus, and the bivalves living in the
> area would seem to me to be much too large for E. sulcidentata to handle.
> Has anyone observed E. sulcidentata feeding?  If so, on what?  Radwin and
> Wells (1968) attempted to determine food preferences for this species in
> an aquarium but all the animals died without eating.  Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Greg Herbert
> Loyola University
> New Orleans, LA

It sounds like Phil has the answer, but they might do this, although it
is unusual.  I have experienced that E. sucidentata usually doesn't hide
under anything like some other shells.  It will be out in the open, but
it is so well camoflaged that you have to look closely to see one, then
you will see 2 and so on. M. pomum and other murex will also be exposed.
I am not sure what they eat, maybe Phil will put his 2 cents in here.
Do you know what they eat Phil?  We find sucidentata over 25 mm, and
quite a few albinos in the Tampa Bay area.  That's it for now.

Bob
Bob & Betty Lipe mailto:[log in to unmask]
The Shell Store: http://theshellstore.com