Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:13:20 -0400
I'm not good.  Maybe someone else can answer the question.

ACCESS is good to, but you have to do a report every time you want to see
something.  The advantage of EXCEL is that it opens directly to your
favorite report (i.e., an alphabetical listing by species) and I find it
very fast to copy material between cells.

Even if you don't want to learn how to do reports or sorts, in EXCEL you can
create an alphabetical list by simply using the insert row function whenever
you want to add a species to the existing list.
Marlo
----------------------
Sam Tuttle asked:
Is there not some way to export the Word items into Excel - and then sort?

Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:59:26 -0400

Hi Jordan,
Tom and Bill have given good advice if you insist on using WORD.  However,
you can accomplish it all more easily in EXCEL and have the sort function to
organize your data any way you want each time you use the list.  First
column should be species name (cornutus), next column genus name
(Chicoreus), next column Source (trade, purchase, etc.), next column etc.
Then depending upon what you're looking for each time you access the list
you can sort accordingly.  I've found it to be very effective, fast and easy
once you practice a bit.

On June 1 Jordan Star asked:
I am typing my Murex card file (yes, all my Murex info. is on index cards)
into the computer.  So, after typing all card info. with Murex names listed
first (cornutus, Chicoreus ...., data on shell, this is a typical card) into
Word 2000, how do I alphabetize the entries by species names after typing
them?  Do I have to alphabetize before typing?