From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:00:17 -0700
Hi David, I don't know if this will help you but I will pass it along.  I've
looked for eulimids on sea cucumbers in Hawaii several times.  Two species
of sea cucumber occur commonly in the tide pools that I've searched.  One is
black and covered with a thin layer of sand [Holothuria atra] and the other
is brown with white spots and sand doesn't stick to it [Actinopyga
mauritiana].  The former sometimes have snail parasites on them, but not on
every one.  I've collected three different species of eulimid snails only on
this species.  The latter species never has any parasitic snails that I have
found.  So maybe the species of sea cucumber that you are observing isn't
the host for the snails you are finding in the beach drift?  A different
species living in deeper water may be the host and provides the drift shells
you are finding. Bert Bartleson