From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 04:19:45 +1000
Quite right, Richard,

and ideally that is what Wikipedia aims at--to have its information backed by
published sources. It requires references for important statements and does not
allow 'original research.' However, someone must care enough (and be
knowledgeable enough) to call out the bluffs of wanna-be editors and require
accessible references to back up information. Articles are reviewed and 'graded'
on how well referenced its sections are (and the validity & accessibility of
those references). (A different article in Wikipadia that I have contributed to
often was just 'demoted' from an 'A' article to 'B' because one section was
short on references.)

I had worked for some time trying to 'tame' the species list for the Cowry
article but eventually realized that it required resources to which I had no
access. I purged it in the interest of keeping mis-information to a minimum but
the 'style preference' of a senior editor overrode my concerns about unreliable
data. He felt that the article 'looked' better with a species list. :-/

As Carlo Maccà pointed out subsequently, if an person had latinized his/her
name, the -ii ending was indeed proper. This, however, requires a further set of
facts: Did that person him/herself have to declare his/her name latinized? Or,
might someone else do that? Or, if so done in either case, WHEN was it done in
relation to the species in question?

Count me out of that scenario. I like cowries,... a lot! But, I am NOT ga-ga
over them. They are only snail shells. Perhaps someone on this list truly IS
ga-ga AND has the time, resources,  references and inclination to improve the
Wikipedia Cowry species list... in the interest of improving the public's
understanding of the way cowries are, versus the way someone thinks they should
be.

Bob Dayle