From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:20:47 -0400
Ammie Powers Jr wrote:
> Marlo
> I found many of these live ocean side Marathon Florida.
> bullas
>

> ---- "José Leal" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>HI Marlo,
>>
>>I found the species more than once in the late 1980s snorkeling in BIscayne
>>Bay in Miami, in locations close to Mercy Hospital and Dinner Key in Coconut
>>Grove.
>>
>>Best,
>>
>>José
>>
>>On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM, marlo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>

>>>Pinna carnea Gmelin, 1791 was reported by Abbott as "rare" in Florida.  I
>>>have observed this shell in Palm Beach County on Florida's east coast.  Has
>>>anyone observed this shell living (not beach) anywhere else in Florida?

They are common on the reefs of southern Palm Beach County. I'm told
they are tasty, but I've never tried one.

The "rare" may be because, live, they are generally well embedded in
hard bottom and, dead, they are fragile and unlikely to make it to the
sand, thence to the beach, in more than tiny fragments.