Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:22:15 -0400
Harry,

A review of D&C revealed that the description included "The earlier whorls
have 2, the later whorls 3 beaded spirals."  Note also that D&C's key of
Odostomia (pg.121) indicates for buijsei "First 2, later 3 beaded spirals, a
smooth spiral below."  I do not have Bartsch's monograph, but your comments
appear to indicate both these writers were describing the same spiral
features.  As I tried to convey in one slide, the most posterior spiral,
upon close examination of the early whorls, looks like two closely fused
cords and whether or not this "fusion" separates sooner, later, or not at
all can cause differing cord counts at the same stages of growth.

Comments very much appreciated.
Marlo

September 02, Harry G. Lee wrote in part:

There is no doubt that the shells you feature are referable to Chrysallida
buijsei de Jong and Coomans, 1988.

I can't find my copy of the Bartsch monograph now, but  my notes indicate
that he indicated his species had only two rows of beaded spirals on the
early teleoconch whorls. In contrast, de Jong and Coomans reported three
(see Lee, 2009: 141).

Harry

9/2, Marlo wrote in part:
Is it Fargoa bushiana (Bartsch, 1909) or Fargoa buijsei (de Jong and
Coomans, 1988) or just another pretty shell?  In any event, here's a shell
that's one of those "little white" things that all look alike and there's
not much help out there for collectors to use in identification.
Comments/corrections are welcome; esp. if I've made an outright error.