From:
David DeLucia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:51:54 -0400
I was a bit suprised that the passing of the legendary Richard M. Kurz on
January 28th, 2008 seems not to have been noted on this forum.

The man was indeed legendary in that he was the first mail order shell
dealer for most of us, and for many of us, the last.  For a good 30 years
he issued monthly lists on the characteristic sky blue paper. Dick's
specials were tantalizing and eagerly anticipated.  For example, he had
Conus milneedwardsii at a perfectly darling price long before it was
discovered in more quantity.

One of the most endearing things about Dick's lists is that everything was
a "beauty".  There were rare beauties, slender beauties, yellow beauties,
shiny beauties, spiny beauties, and tiny beauties.  I can vividly remember
a Dick Kurz list parody from the 70's which listed among other things,
beautiful beauties and ugly beauties.  Dick also tended to say "you betcha"
no matter what he was asked.  Yet for all his foibles, Dick was a
remarkably generous man who always wanted his customers to be happy.  His
family has continued this tradition by donating part of his collection of
giant shells and Voluta vespertilio in depth to the National Museum of
Natural History.

Dick Kurz apparently never married and was 79 years old.  He will never be
forgotten as one of the pioneers of the mail order seashell industry. If
anyone wants a sample of his lists, I will be glad to send you one.  As to
whether or not he had a sense of humor....you betcha!!

Dave DeLucia