From:
Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:26:07 -0400
Hello All.

    Being a microbiology professional and only a shell-collecting hobbiest I
sometime back myself into a corner when I teach my Biodiversity course using
mollusk examples.  We were talking about genetics and a student asked me
about species that change sex during their life.  I thought immediately of
Crepidula and passed along the little tidbits I know about the sex change
involved in that species being driven by bio-chemical control from the
bottom female. That isn't a whole lot to give them and it ignited more
questions that I was left scratching my head on.

So, I had no clue as to the chromosomal characteristics of this or for that
matter any mollusk species.

What are the chromosomal numbers like in most species?  Any info on Crepidula?

Normally what is the situation with sex-chromosomes in mollusks?
female:male= XX:XY or XX:XO? Something else?