From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 18:31:28 -0400
Actually the molecular work on Geukensia was done partially by Taehwan Lee and Diarmaid Ó Foighil (below). They used Ischadium recurvum, Geukensia demissa, and G. granosissima as outgroups in molecular studies of species of Brachidontes. Both combined (28S and ITS1) nuclear ribosomal (left) and mitochondrial COI (right) datasets suggested to these authors that G. granosissima is more closely related to Ischadium recurvum than it is to G. demissa.  One of the possible interpretation of their results, from the taxonomic standpoint, is that Ischadium recurvum could be just another species of Geukensia.

Lee, T. and D. Ó Foighil. 2004. Hidden Floridian biodiversity: mitochondrial and nuclear gene trees reveal four cryptic species within the scorched mussel, Brachidontes exustus, species complex. Molecular Ecology 13, 3527–3542 (doi: 10.1111/j.1365-294X.2004.02337.x)

Lee, T. and Ó Foighil. 2005. PLACING THE FLORIDIAN MARINE GENETIC DISJUNCTION INTO A REGIONAL EVOLUTIONARY CONTEXT USING THE SCORCHED MUSSEL, BRACHIDONTES EXUSTUS, SPECIES COMPLEX. Evolution 59(10): 2139–2158

Cheers from Sanibel,

José
José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director and Curator
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus
www.shellmuseum.org

3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road
Sanibel, FL 33957 USA
(239)395-2233
fax (239)395-6706
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail