From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 08:41:01 -0400
Dear Harry and Marlo,

Harry: Thanks for setting the genus-name priority straight. Please remember that the results by Lee and Ó Foighil were incidental, given that the species of Geukensia and Ischadium were used in their study only as outgroups. (Outgroup analysis is a technique traditionally used in phylogenetic systematics that helps determine which characters, in this case gene sequences, are more primitive or more derived in the study group; the outgroup acts as a kind of gauge against which characters of the taxa actually in study are compared).

In their study of Brachidontes, Lee and Ó Foighil picked up two Geukensia and one Ischadium as outgroups, only to get serendipitously to the results under discussion in this thread.  To get a more comprehensive picture of the possible relationships among the species of “Geukensia” and “Ischadium,” one would have to bring a larger pool of species assigned to both nominal genera (and other closely related genera) into the analysis.

Sorry for not using italics throughout this message, but for some strange reason I can only send plain text messages to Conch-L (Marlo, your pictures are absolutely outstanding.)

Cheers,

José
José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director and Curator
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus
www.shellmuseum.org

3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road
Sanibel, FL 33957 USA
(239)395-2233
fax (239)395-6706
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail